Pages

Thursday, March 5, 2015

Author Questions from Cold Coffee Cafe




I've found a fun new blog site http://coldcoffeecafe.com/profile/JenniferConner that joins writers and readers. I was a guest blogger yesterday and here are my questions:

What makes you proud to be a writer from (fill in your Location)? I love living in the Seattle area and being surrounded by such positive writing role models. Debbie Macomber lives just a few miles away and started my writing chapter.

What or who inspired you to become a writer? I have had many influences in my life. My mother was always a writer, though never published. I wish she had lived to see me a published author. My writing influences are the local authors who have helped me along the way on this journey. My favorite author is Diana Gabaldon, I’ve been an Outlander addict for 15 or so years.

When did you begin writing with the intention of becoming published? About 10 years ago. At that time, I started entering contests. I won three national contests and got a one on with one of the big six. This helped me to believe that I was doing something right.

Did your environment or upbringing play a major role in your writing and did you use it to your advantage? I still live in the hundred year old house I grew up in. I look outside my office window and watch the deer and squirrels. My mother always influenced my creative side. I have always leaned that way. I ran a successful wedding photography and catering business for over 15 years before starting my publishing company 5 years ago.

Do you come up with your title before or after you write the manuscript? Sometimes. Not always. I usually print off visuals of the hero and heroine to keep them in my mind.

Please introduce your genre and why you prefer to write in that genre? I write in romance, novel length, novella and short stories. Historical Romance, Romantic Suspense, Paranormal Romance and Erotica. I write romance because I am always a sucker for a happy ending. There is too much unhappiness out there to spend my time in those unhappy people’s heads!

What was your inspiration, spark or light bulb moment that inspired you to write the book that you are seeking promotion for? In the last few years I have been writing a lot of short stories that are in anthologies with other best-selling authors. It’s a fun way to write since we can all cross promote and share ideas. My last published short is called, Love Potion #10. I had the idea, what if my heroine went to have a love potion concocted so her boss would fall for her. But then, after a mix up, she spends the night with a co-worker. Had she given the potion to the wrong man? And now what was she going to do?

What has been your most rewarding experience with your writing process? Helping new and upcoming authors become the best they can be at their craft.

Have you had a negative experience in your writing career? If so please explain how it could have been avoided? Oh, yes, of course. After winning those national contests all I got back from the editor was “There’s no such thing as bikini barista.’ Which is funny since there are 3 bikini barista coffee stands in my town. That was when I thought, I need to do this on my own, start my own company to publish my stories and others who deserve respect for all their hard work.

What has been your most rewarding experience in your publishing journey? Hitting #1 on Amazon and in the top 50 authors and being next to some BIG names. J
Have you had a negative experience in your publishing journey? If so please explain how it could have been avoided? The 1st publisher I signed with just wasn’t serious. They never sent me a check or wouldn’t release the stories after they went under. I’ve never worked harder than trying to be a good writer and deserved more respect from the publisher.

What one positive piece of advice would you give to other authors? Join a critique group and listen to their feedback. Try to get in with different genres of writers, it will help flesh out your writing. Don’t put something out until it’s ready.

Who is your favorite author and why? Diana Gabaldon. She writes such amazing layered sagas. I love that ALL her characters including her heroes and heroines are flawed. They have done some REALLY dumb things and made terrible decisions. This makes me love them more. No one is perfect so they shouldn’t be written like that. Don’t only make the good guys good and the bad guys bad. They are much more interesting if you add a little to both.
                     
Is there anything else that you would like to share with us?
Please add questions and the answers to any questions that you believe your readers would like to know.
How many published books do your have? 57 titles in ebook, paperback, and audiobook.
Which book title would you like featured in this interview?
Love Potion Number 10

If you are a multi-book author please tell me three of YOUR favorite (published) book titles:
I’ll be Seeing You through Time (a time travel romance I wrote for my mom so she could have her happy ending.)
The Empress of Ireland (This is part of The Places to See Series, and I wrote it after traveling to Ireland.)
Christmas Dog Tags. (I have a big dumb lab who’s a shelter dog. He inspired me to write a series of three Christmas stories that revolve around dogs.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment